Monday, May 17, 2004

Built up in Him...

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. (Colossians 2:6-7)
I think if I meditated on this just a couple years ago, I’d have a difficult time saying that I was rooted in Christ. I would probably say that I had more adapted Christ into the roots I already had. But today I know that I am rooted in him. Although I often forget and am even often deceived I know that at the root of my being the spirit of God resides there. The issue today is whether I’m being built up in him - sometimes I reject and disobey, often pulling down the bricks of my life as quickly as I lay them.

I’ve been learning that God takes the building of my character and my faith very seriously, much more seriously than my seriousness about doing great things for Him. I think I often put the cart before the horse when it comes to trying to transform those around me before I myself have been truly changed. It dawned on me today that possibly some people around me live apathetic lives due to what shows in my own life. The thought of this is excruciating to me, yet as a child of God I have this undying hope and utter thankfulness knowing that God will complete all that He has started. And there will come a time when I am all that He has called me to be.

No comments: