Sunday, February 19, 2006

Valentines for the homeless...

Homeless ChristFor Valentines, Yvonne and I celebrated, by getting our small group downtown to connect with the homeless in our city.


We split into three teams and gave out some quality sandwiches, brand-spanking new socks, drinks, snacks and roses. I thought the roses would be an interesting idea, but only managed to give out a few of them.


A few people in my group had never done anything like this before, and I'm glad they all had a positive experience. One person did have an individual on the streets say to her "Don't think you're so innocent". Truth is, we're not, but how easy is it for us to come off that way?


For me, it was just refreshing to connect with our city as it really is. Rather than avoiding eye contact, as I often do, I spent a whole night trying to look into the eyes of those we wish just weren't there.


I find the real challenge, is not nights like these, but everyday I go about and pass by people. Yvonne and I want to always try to have something packed that we can give away when we go out.


This night makes me think of a great Goo Goo Dolls song called Better Days that I think should be our new Christmas anthem.



and the one poor child who saved this world

and there's ten million more who probably could

if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them



You can find the rest of the lyrics here and watch the video here.

1 comment:

Heather Durkee said...

Way to stretch the group. I would have never thought about doing street ministry on Valentines Day. Not that we ever do anything big, but how appropriate to show God's love on a day that remembers and celebrates love.