Tuesday, December 26, 2006

3 Horrible days...

Wednesday

We get called that Stellar needs to be rushed to the emergency unit.

I realized I've lost my keys as I'm speeding home to take our family to the hospital.

We get sent to the wrong emergency ward putting off urgent treatment that she needs for an hour

Stellar is diagnosed with severe Jaundice. Half of newborns get this but her level is debilitating and can result in hearing loss and brain damage.

Doctor's tell us that babies that come in for treatment usually have half of her levels and don't move much. Stellar's strong and moving frantically which is good.

Stellar needs to go through multiple lamp phototherapy for the next 48 hours. Nurse's take 6 stabs at my baby trying to find her tiny veins to plug the IV into. They say she may need a blood transfusion.

Thursday

Yvonne and I don't get much sleep lying together on a single bed/stretcher for the night wondering what we could have done differently.

Stellar's bilirubin levels drop by 300 points which is excellent.

I find a way to finish my final paper in the hospital.

Yvz and I take solace in God, our praying friends, trusting that the medical staff are doing all that they can.

Friday

Stellar is taken off of her IV and the phototherapy treatment for monitoring.

We discover that she is missing an enzyme called G6PD that led to her jaundice. Because she's a girl they traced that the genetic disorder was passed on from me! It's a rare disease and somehow I managed to get through life this far without it showing up.

Stellar's been finger-feeding while in the incubator and is having a very difficult time returning to breastfeeding.

Yvonne and I both get food poisoning. She vomits once, I vomit five times.

Stellar's okay and we're released from the hospital. We need neonatal follow-up to see if she's going to have any development issues.

My keys still haven't turned up and I've spent over a hundred dollars on parking this past week at the hospital. But all that matters to me right now is that I'm back home with the two most precious people in my life.

Stellar in the incubator

Stellar in an incubator with IV and phototherapy lights.

Super-Stellar

Stellar with her goggles on looking like a superhero. And she is.

Latest comments and entires at One Life.

No comments: