Saturday, June 03, 2006

I didn't know we could do that...

"I didn't know we could do that..." That's what I'm hearing as I bring up church planting to people.


When I've asked fellow students in my seminary what they plan on doing with their lives and dreams, there seems to be this linear answer of 'well, i'm going to be a youth pastor, then an associate pastor, and then if things work out, i'd like to be a senior pastor one day'. It sounds like a great plan, and nothing wrong with that, but could there be more?


I went to Canada's National Church planting congress last year and was the only person from my seminary there (the largest in Canada). I attended a breakout session and what I heard from leaders at all levels repeated asking was - where are all the young, catalytic, entrepreneurial, leaders of the next generation?


I'm convinced that the structures and processes that have been built for raising leaders by previous generations are only producing people who think within those systems (And I'm sure this applies to more than just the realm of 'spiritual' leadership). Many of these frameworks are shrinking our hearts, leaving little room for the extraordinary possibilities that we are all capable of and must bring about.


I've decided that as I make my transition from work back to full-time school this september, I'll be launching a new Church Planting & Kingdom Advancing Network on campus. More on this soon. Thoughts?


http://onelife.voxtropolis.com for the latest entries / comments.

2 comments:

Lon said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Alan! It means a lot. And yes, it'll definitely be a wonderful challenge with our child on the way. I'm looking forward to every moment!

Yu-Ling said...

I really wanted to go last year, but my sched wouldn't work out :P. If you start something on campus, I'm there.