Sunday, June 27, 2004

What makes you come alive?

I'm knee deep immersed in writing my final integration paper for Gospel, Church, and Culture today. I got caught behind because I was speaking at UTCCF this past week on outreach. It was excellent to be back involved in campus ministry again, even if just for a moment.

I also managed to read two John Eldredge books this past week, Wild at Heart and Waking the dead. Besides the fact that I've been leading a new Men's sunday school class, this was oddly spurred on due to Tony's comments that my post reminded him of Eldredge's writing. Strange how we often flock to those with similar views. There are definitely similar themes with him and McManus, although I still think Erwin is a better wordsmith. Two quotes that remain off the top from Wild at Heart:
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

Most men, marry for safety; they choose a woman who will make them feel like a man but never really challenge them to be one.
I know I definitely married a woman that challenges me to the person God had called me to be every single day. Thank God. However, I don't think writing papers makes me come alive, but speaking to students, encouraging and, building them up in Christ sure does. Alas, I must get back to the paper. I guess I must go through the valley if I want to stand upon the mountain...

No comments: