Thursday, August 26, 2004

God? Marriage? What?...

A friend of mine asked me last night out of the leftfield, ‘why does the Bible refer to God as a male?” I was a bit startled at first, and then I couldn’t get over the fact that I didn’t have a thought out answer for such a simple question. I decided to just open my mouth and let the words roll off my lips.

I told him that we were all made, both man and women, in the image of God. That the characteristics and traits of both men and women were both intended to reflect who God was. I told him that I think that the Bible refers to God as male because of the relationship He intended for us to have with Him. The Bible calls the church the bride of Christ, and our relationship with Him is so very similar to that of marriage between a man and a woman. God, as the great giver and the great initiator pursues us and sacrifices for us – that we might know of His unfailing love. We receive from Him and are blessed by Him. In return we spend all our lives in a spiral of joy exchanging love and thanks until the giver and the receiver become indistinguishable.

God longs to be in relationship with us, to transform us, that we might have his heart for people and his passion for life.

Speaking of marriage, here’s our latest wedding newsletter, and some links to pics.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Theology: God as giver we as receiver. When you understand that it is only in giving that we truly receive . . . then you are on your way.

Paul said...

I remember having a talk with a relative about that. She could not get over the fact the the Bible referred to God as a male. Good post.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lon I'm a 16 yr old christian please visit my site at http://beingachristiantoday.blogspot.com/
please comment on something. Hey just to answer that question it says somewhere in the Bible to not think of God as a man or a woman! sorry I can't find a verse but I'm positive ok :) Personally I think of him as a ball of light because of his glory LOL :) u think I'm crazy right? anyway please visit my site. :)